This will be the thread for the contrapteur mini-cnc project.
The goal is to make a complete replica of the mini-cnc, but using metric parts.
The good thing about the mini-cnc is that it uses all contraptor parts, so translating it's part is basically translating contraptor.
So to start, we need a frame with about the same dimensions as the contraptor mini-cnc.
Here bellow is a draft, conversion has been made the following way :
- For short parts, use parts with the same number of holes.
- For long parts, use parts about the same length.
It ends up looking very much alike.
Some things may need to be changed once we start adding the moving parts, we'll see then.
So now that there is a frame ( in sketchup ), what is needed next ?
- Sliding elements : design already started in the big-cnc project, raw aluminium square tube easily available.
- Linear bearings : TBD, main problem is here is that aluminium channel is hard to find. Could be made by shortening U profile legs.
- Linear rails : design started in sketchup, same problem with aluminium channel.
- Coupling nut clamp and Lead nut mount : TBD
- Shaft mount : easy, will be made with laser cut holders, see discution
- Belt clamp : easy too.
- Motor mount : design already started in the big-cnc project, from square tube cut in half, with rubber vibration isolation.
- The rest ( parts column ) : TBD, but lots of progress already done for the big-cnc project
- Wiki page ( under Metric version )
- Sketchup file to be uploaded to 3D warehouse
- Build log with pictures
- Trying to document it as well as the original mini-cnc
Any comments/advice is super welcome !