The subsets have been replaced by kits.
This subset includes components for basic 3 axis linear motion: sliding elements, lead nuts and lead screws, shaft mounts and bearings, motor mounts and couplings, pulleys and belts, mounting hardware. Leadscrews can be rotated by improvised handcranks. In combination with Dremel, the subset provides manual subtractive machining capability. To drive sliding elements from the computer, you need NEMA23 stepper motors and control electronics, for example Electronics & motors subset
- Feedrate/movement speed: up to 20 IPM (8 mm/s) with Electronics & motors subset. You might get higher speeds with more powerful motors.
- Accuracy: positional error of the mechanism: ~ 0.01", actual results may vary depending on the following factors: stage mass, movement speed, structure rigidity.
- Feedrate/movement speed: up to 400 IPM (170 mm/s) with Electronics & motors subset. You might get higher speeds with more powerful motors.
- Accuracy: positional error of the mechanism: from 0.02" to 1/16", actual results may vary depending on the following factors: belt length and tensioning, stage mass, motor coupling type, movement speed, structure rigidity.
- DIY: $220 in parts and materials + shipping/taxes from 4 vendors
- Fabricated kit: $250
- Shipping weight: 7 lbs
- Structural subset
- For Computer Numerical Control (CNC) you need NEMA23 stepper motors and control electronics, for example Electronics & motors subset
|sliding-elements UHMWPE side pads||32|
|sliding-elements UHMWPE center pads||16|
|belt-clamp belt pad||6|
|threaded-rod 1/4-20||4x3 ft|
|coupling nut 1/4||6|
|spring lock washer 1/4||12|
|screw 1/4 3"||4|
|screw 6-32 1/4" nylon||1x100pk|
|screw 6-32 1/8"||50|
|screw 6-32 3/8"||20|
Bill of materials
|AL angle 1x1x1/8||1||4-ft||N/A||OnlineMetals.com||architectural aluminum 4-ft. lengths|
|AL tube 1.5x1.5x1/8||1||3-ft||N/A||OnlineMetals.com||3-ft. lengths|
|pulley XL10T||6||ea||A 6Z 3-10DF03708||SDP/SI|
|belt XL120||2||ea||A 6B 3-060037||SDP/SI|
|belt XL280||2||ea||A 6R 3-140037||SDP/SI|
|belt XL400||2||ea||A 6R 3-200037||SDP/SI|
|belt XL540||2||ea||A 6R 3-270037||SDP/SI|
|motor coupling hub||6||ea||6408K913||Mcmaster.com|
|motor coupling spider||3||ea||6408K61||Mcmaster.com|
|UHMWPE channel 1¼"x¾"||2||ft||8672K312||Mcmaster.com|
|threaded rod 1/4-20||4||3-ft||98957A633||Mcmaster.com||hardware store rod not recommended|
|screw 6-32 1/8"||1||100-pk||91773A142||Mcmaster.com||or 50ea in hardware store|
|screw 6-32 3/8"||1||100-pk||90279A146||Mcmaster.com||or 20ea in hardware store|
|screw 6-32 1/4" nylon||1||100-pk||97263A144||Mcmaster.com|
|nut 1/4||24||ea||N/A||hardware store|
|spring lock washer 1/4||12||ea||N/A||hardware store|
|coupling nut 1/4||6||ea||N/A||hardware store|
|screw 1/4 3"||4||ea||N/A||hardware store|
Note: the BoM is arranged and the vendors are picked to minimize the total order cost. Some vendors happen to have affiliate programs in which we participate. For us this is one of the ways to raise money for the project. For you, there is no added cost. If you come across a significantly cheaper vendor, please let us know.